Tuesday 14 January 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth.

Hello, and yes, today i am going to be "reviewing" a book! Probably in a really poor and unprofessional way, but I really want to share it with you guys. 


I really like the cover of mine!

Firstly, i'll tell you the summary of the book.

"In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself."

Ooooh, intriguing right? So, i'll start on my opinions. 

This book is of the Young Adult genre, it's set in a dystopian world (that means "An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror." Thanks dictionary!), and it's a novel. All things I tend to really enjoy, and this book was no exception.

This book had me hooked from about chapter 3, I would say, which is pretty much a record for me! I really enjoyed the way that the author, Veronica Roth, structured the book so that the chapters were quite short making every one end on some kind of cliff hanger. 

I found the main character Tris to be very likeable, so I always wanted her to be the best at everything. Also, this made me very much hate all of her enemies. That and they were easy to hate. (Peter, I am looking at you.)

And Four (or should I say, PHWOAR! my my when did i get so witty) is one of my favourite things about the entire book. I don't think I have ever fancied a character from a book as much as Four, and I just really want one for myself! I'm going to blame Veronica Roth for my future disappointment in the male gender, I think.

At parts, this book did get a bit gushy when Tris talks about boys and things like that, but I guess it a kind of 'coming of age' time for her and it doesn't go smushy for a long time, so I can get over that. Also, I found myself always wanting to know more about the world they were in, I mean is Chicago the only city that's left in the world? But I may find more out in the next two books in the series ,which are Insurgent and Allegiant (exciting!)

Personally, I do kind of  think that this book may have jumped on the Hunger Games band wagon. But I am probably going to think that with every single YA Dystopian novel, just because I absolutely love that series and it has a big place in my heart for getting me back into reading. So if Katniss and Tris got into a fight, I would be backing Katniss all the way.

This book was action packed, funny in parts, romantic and very easy to read, so I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys the Young Adult genre, and I will probably be trying to force all of my friends into reading it in the next couple of months, so that must mean it's good.  So go to your local bookstore and give the first chapter a read, get it on your e-reader, or if you trust me that much (which you should) you can buy it from here. (FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY GUYS!)

Also, it's coming out in movie form on the 21st of March in the US, so if you're going to read it, do it before the movie comes out!


wooooooah..

Lot's of love,
Hayley
x

No comments:

Post a Comment